Friday, June 13, 2014

A bit of a look back

I just thought I would do a bit of a look back, for the very least, I place to put random thoughts on my travels.  Today is Friday the 13th of June, so it won't be nearly completed. 

June 20!

City visited ==
City 'passed' through ===  ( these are ones I told a look in, but less than 2 hours)

Germany
== Dussleborf
== Munich

Denmark
== Copenhagen

Sweden
== Jönköping
== Göteborg
== Linköping
== Stockholm
== Kiruna
== Gränna
== Husqvarna
=== Norrköping

Poland
== Warsaw
== Kraków
== Łódź

Italy
== Rome
== Pisa
== Florence
=== Milan

Czech Republic
== Prague

Austria
== Vienna
== Salzburg
== Dornbirn

Switzerland
== Basel
=== Zünich

Norway
== Stavanger
== Olso

I just thought I would start writing a few of the things I have learned while being away.

~ try new things, I hated new things, but as I traveled more, I made it my goal to try what the new country had to offer, both with drink and food

~ talk to people, if you don't start talking, chances are you won't meet someone new.  At least in Sweden, most won't talk unless you force them, and now I have Swedish friends (mostly just from band though)

~ which is another thing, get into groups that the native kids are in, it will help you meet more of them (not just the internationals) and learn the language a bit

~ don't ditch the internationals though, these people will become your best friends over the next few months, and plus, friends don't let friends do stupid things.... Alone

~ try travel alone and with others, but try and get out of your 'country friend group' it much cooler to learn more about other countries, and now you have someone to visit there! (And perhaps steal their couch in the future!)

~ learn the language a bit at least, I'm no expert at Swedish, but I catch myself wondering why things are written in English twice, then realize the first was Swedish. 
~~ some languages help with others, Swedish helped me read some German, this came in quote handy
~~ also in Norway, a nurse wasn't real great in English, so I did Swedish

~ learn the area you are in as well as traveling around.  I found the hiking right behind my house was just as nice as anywhere..ish ;)
~~ check out Norway and Switzerland for hiking

~ try to cook something new, maybe you'll get a valuable skill you can use later on!  (I can now make all sorts of bread and cake!  And rice the correct Chinese way!)

~ don't do the city in a day routine.  It's no good, you end up seeing nothing in a day, are dead tired, and hate everyone by the end of the week.  Take at least 3 days there (4-5 in Prague, Krakow, or Rome) and learn a few of the secrets of each place from a native, and visit them

~ don't be too scared of couch surfing, but if you are a girl, bring a friend at least the first time.  I have a few people that would be good starters as well :D
~~ this is a good way to meet locals as well and perhaps learn the secrets of the place!

~ as I learned from Gigi, if someone offers you free food, take it! If they give you more, take it!  You may not know where your next meal is while traveling......and trust me, meal bars can only go so far.....

No comments:

Post a Comment