Thursday, July 3, 2014

Eurotrip: Italy: Pictures

Tuesday June 3rd
Roma
We arrived in Rome!!  From the train station we walked to where we were staying....behind the Vatican.  To say the least, my parents were unhappy with this walk, which they termed more as a march.  After we got to our place, we went and saw St. Cecilia's Basilica, and the roman ruins (Colosseum, forum, such like).  I figured it to be about 17 or 18 km (10-11miles), which I didn't think was bad, but they thought so, but we went to the cafe I found under the tracks and had geloti!  It was after this that my family started referring to me as chefe Jeffey, and to this trip as being the Jonathan boot camp.  (Chefe-boss, Jeffey- Jeffy from family circus).  It was quite a lot done in one day! But we had Italian pizza!


Wednesday June 4th
Roma
This day was Vatican day, we saw the Pope in the address in the morning, went through St. Peter's, and the gift shopping and postcard writing.  And pasta this day!!
+ added fun story!  While in St. Peter's Square, there are tons of pesterers  that try and make to take and pay for their tours.  One came up to me and a asked if I knew English, so I said a little, and when I was asked from where have I come from, I answered Sweden (javisst!).   It so happened I picked the only guy who knew some Swedish, but no worries!-- his brother was fluent!  Oh boy! I understood what was being said, but just said nej a lot ;p.  I got back to my family and told them this story and said I shouldn't say other languages, so I said naiho (spwling issue--but hi in Cantonese).  In which an Asian man turned around and started speaking to me!! I just shook my head as he continued, and he tried again, mom says he was listing off places I could be from, I was to busy being confused!  Jestem zedisorientowy! (Spelling again :p)
The stairs to where we were staying

You must run across the street with a young child!


Another expensive car












Thursday June 5th
Roma- Firenze
We tried going to the Vatican museums today, but we ended up not having enough time and had to go straight to the train for Florence.  We got to Florence and the head man at our hotel took out a map and told us what all to see, how to get there, and a bus back at the end.  So we did these things, seeing much of the town, the old bridge, found a great pizza place and ended the day on a hilltop to see the sunset over the city.  This is when we took the craziest bus ride ever!!!  It was a smaller bus, but the driver drove like it was his Fiat!  Pretty sure we were going to die on that one!  But we made it and feel asleep!


Friday June 6th
Firenze
We took it a bit easy this day, we had seen all we wanted the day before.  We ended up going to Pisa and coming back, in time for random meandering and ended up meeting one of my friends from Furan, Gigi, the hong kongian!  We went to that same pizza place, ate more than I though possible, more random wondering, and then my family went to the airport for that had to fly home (in which they had their own adventures).  And it so happened Gigi and I were both going to Rome and the same time, so we got tickets on the same train, and waited in the train station until 0500, which ended up colder than I imagined it would be!  We had some fun though before hand walking along over the town, and also in the train station, and I learned to write a little Cantonese!




It's a really cool place to see, especially if you have played Assassin's Creed at all :P









Best restaurant!

Covering up the bits....





This is the point where I had lots of time.....so I got artsy ;)










The bus ride down the hill......we were pretty sure we were going to die

I posed....dad not so much ;p


The next day we did a quick trip to Pisa


My parents went to the airport and Gigi and I explored a bit more.






This is where we stayed the night!



Saturday June 7th
Roma
We got to Rome about 0830 and went straight to the Vatican....ish.  I got a bit lost this time, but we got there!!!!  We spent this day in the Vatican museum (so much bigger than you think!!!! It took us 3 hours to go through it!).  We each got in for 8 euro, totally worth it!  We then went out and got food (yay!!) And went off to find our hosts.  I ended up having to walk there after trying a bus....as usual for me.  I got there (stayed with the priests again!) And rang the first, said someone would be sent out, I think they missed me, rang the second, told me to ring the third, and with the third I got in (same priest that let me in at midnight last time!). 


Sunday June 8th
Roma
Gigi and I met and had Pentecost Mass with the Pope!!   Sorta, he was inside St. Peter's and we were in the square, but it was still Mass with the Pope!  Gigi had not seen him yet, so we were waiting afterwards, but then were walking away when we heard something, and I remembered it as Papa's voice.  So we went back and blam!!!  There he was in his window!  So we went and saw him!  We then went and toured the castle of the holy angel (Michael) and went back to St. Peter's, where we got to go downstairs and see St. Peter's bones!  We then, javisst, went and ate ;).  After this we split up and went to our homes.


Monday June 9th
Roma

In the morning I had my postcard day.  I thought I finally had this bus think figured out, but ended up going the wrong way, so and hour and a half later I got to the Vatican!  Got my stuff done, and went back and had lunch with the priests, and afterward, Fr. Neil took me to St. Paul outside the wall, and I said hi to Paul (my confirmation saint), and got a cross there that Fr. Neil blessed for me.  We went back, I packed, then supper, and I went out with Fr. Neil, got back, and finished packing and slept.

In line for the Vatican Museum 

The roof.....of a hallway

Stair case!
There is soooooo much more there to see....I would really suggest it, it took as a little bit more than 3 hours to see the whole thing.


See him!! Luck us that heard him!

Picture with the Pope!

Castle time!







St Peters!




Last Gelato...in Italy ;P

St. Paul's Outside the Wall











Church of the Priests I was staying with





 These are from St. Peter's, just misplaced due to time stamp issues.



view from castle

Magic bus that showed up behind me and got me to the bus termini on time! {it sounded like it was going to fall apart though!!!!}

No comments:

Post a Comment