Monday, March 31, 2014

Goteborg: Stadsmuseum

Once I had finally found the Stadsmuseum, I spent quite a bit of time in it.  One thing I have noticed is that Swedish museums don't bother to tell you if you can take photos or not.....So I did!  I learned quite a bit about the history of Sweden as a whole, Vikings and of Gothenburg!

Välkommen!


Among all you can see “the Äskekärrsskeppet”, the only ship from the Viking era on display in Sweden. It is also the only Viking ship in the world with runic inscriptions. ~~~the museum website



Imagine carrying this around on your adventures......

I church I would see soon after.

sideways, to make sure you get your neck exercises done :)

Old city castle, unfortunately, I did not find this {not sure it exists, tour guide told me there was no 'castles' in the city}



Gothenburg was a locked city, at dawn and dusk the keys were gotten out of here and used, but when not being used were locked in here in the city hall and guarded by 2 guards at all times!

Old City


They named it 'Tea & Coffee'---I thought it should be 'history of fika'

They also had very nice displays of Christianity in Sweden and customs in Sweden, but I'll leave that for you to see!

This is one of the older churches in the town, named the "German Church":




From the City Museum I continue walking around and ate my lunch on some steps near a channel:


From here I did some random walking about and found a tourist center, where the lady kindly circled points on a map that would be good for me to go see.  So I proceeded to go adventuring and ended up at the Art museum.



It was a very interesting experience for me.  I realize that to artists, naked people are art, but I think they should turn down the output for a while!--and maybe turn up the class......they were some that were not really art, but just made me sad that someone thought it was art.  Also there was one that just had four lines....how is that art?  I go with the Red Green quote for this "If I can do it, it's not art".

Behind the Art Museum a ways was the University here in Goteborg.  I walked through it, and have to say, their campus beats ours in Jönköping.








I then continued through the city, in generally the right direction {I did learn I have a very good sense of direction on this trip, I always knew which direction I should be going and found places quite well....even for just seeing them from afar!....back to the point!} and discovered a random hill, so I ignored the fence and climbed it.







After some kids with clanking bags came up the hill {if you understand that, congrats}, so I went back down and continued my adventures.

This was just a really cool window I found.


This looks like a church, but was a school.










After my adventuring through the City I made it too my next location, The museum of Natural History.





No comments:

Post a Comment